The Bordentown Township Police Department urges residents to report any suspicious vehicles or activity in their neighborhoods. They also offer the following security tips for holiday package theft prevention:
If using the USPS as your shipping provider:
- Don’t leave delivered mail and packages unattended.
- If you’re going out of town, put your mail on hold at your local Post Office.
- Ship using Hold for Pickup. Customers can redirect incoming packages shipped via the USPS to their local Post Office.
- Customize the delivery. Customers can provide delivery instructions online and authorize the carrier to leave it in a specified location.
- Secure the shipment using USPS Special Services, such as Signature Confirmation or Registered Mail.
If using a private courier service (UPS, FedEx, DHL, Amazon, etc.)
- Use package tracking to know when your package is delivered.
- Install Security Cameras. Security cameras can help keep track of activity at your front door.
- Porch Lock Boxes. Porch lock boxes that delivery drivers can access will protect packages.
- Delivery Manager. Many companies offer free delivery manager services that you can use to track packages, redirect packages to convenient locations for pickup, request vacation holds and more.
- Have packages delivered to your workplace/office. Consider having your package delivered to your office or friends’ houses that you trust and will be home to get your package.
- Require signatures for delivery. To prevent your package being stolen off the front porch, side door, back porch or garage area, ask for signature delivery.
- Insure your upcoming packages. Insuring your holiday parcel will guarantee you reimbursement if your delivery was stolen or lost.