Hamilton Township Fire District No. 9 Chief Mark Antozzeski gives 11-year old Trevor Lecato a certificate of recognition for his heroic actions May 26, 2018, when he rescued his grandmother from a house fire.

Trevor Lecato sprung into action when his family’s home caught fire in May. Now, the community’s doing what it can to help him.

The Hamilton 11-year old sat upstairs in his Merrick Road house the evening of May 26 when he heard smoke detectors going off. He ran downstairs to find a fire in the kitchen, on the stove. He called 911 then rushed to his grandmother—who is ill—and pulled her out of the home.

Thanks to Lecato’s actions and quick arrival by first responders, Lecato, his grandmother, his mother Tonia, his older brother Tony and the family’s pets—a dog, a guinea pig and several cats—all survived.

On July 10, Hamilton Fire District No. 9 Chief Mark Antozzeski presented Trevor with a certificate of recognition for his courage and quick thinking, and credited him with saving lives. Hamilton Township Council will honor Trevor for his actions with a commendation at its Aug. 21 meeting.

The fire, however, destroyed nearly all of the family’s material possessions, including the house, and its effects linger. The family has been living out of hotel since the fire, and so far has been unable to find temporary housing. The family’s dog survived the fire but died weeks later from old age, Tonia Lecato said.

According to a GoFundMe page set up to assist the Lecato family, Lecato has been at the doctor’s office and hospital almost daily due to smoke inhalation and internal burns he encountered May 26. His 15-year-old brother, Tony Lecato, suffers from kidney disease, and lost all his medication in the fire, as well as his computer and school books. Tony, due to his condition, is homeschooled, and may not finish the school year due to the loss of materials and projects.

Tonia Lecato is a single mother of two, and sole caretaker of her mother, who lives with the family. Tonia has had to take time off from her job after the fire due medical appointments and hospital stays, which has led to a loss of income, according to the GoFundMe page.

But she said she has chosen to focus on the positive.

“It’s been rough,” she said. “But at least everyone’s safe. Everyone survived.”

To donate, go to gofundme.com/trevor-tony-amp-moms-fire-recocery.