Think you know your local history? The Princeton Echo created a Princeton trivia quiz, prepared with help from Mimi Omiecinski and other long-time Princetonians who think they know a thing or two.
To test your knowledge before you read the answers, read through the questions page.
1. Princeton was the first university to call its grounds as a “campus.” In what year was the word first used in reference to the ground surrounding Nassau Hall?
1774. The university “campus” — Latin for field — was named after the Campus Martius, a public gathering area in ancient Rome. The first recorded use came from Charles Beatty, Class of 1775, who wrote a letter describing a tea party — the Princeton response to the better known event in Boston. Wrote Beatty: “Last week to show our patriotism, we gathered all the steward’s winter store of tea and having made a fire on the campus we there burned near a dozen pounds, tolled the bell, and made many spirited resolves.” Before “campus,” colleges’ grounds were referred to as “yards.”
2. Name the speaker: “Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil but that’s a long one for me.”
Pete Conrad. A 1953 graduate of Princeton, Conrad was an astronaut on the Apollo 12 mission. He was the third man to walk on the moon, but the first to take a Princeton University flag with him. Upon his death following a motorcycle accident in 1980, the New York Times explained in his obituary that, at 5’6”, he was NASA’s shortest astronaut, hence his send-up of Neil Armstrong’s famous declaration.
3. What did John McPhee not do while growing up in Princeton?
B — McPhee never wrote for the Princeton High School paper. In an interview with Peter Hessler in the Spring, 2010, Paris Review, McPhee was asked, “Did you have any teachers who encouraged you to write?”
He responded: “At Princeton High School I had the same English teacher for the first three years. Her name was Olive McKee . . . That high-school English class was much more influential for me than working on any publication, which I didn’t do. At Princeton High School, the top students were streamed into what was called the academic division, and then there were the commercial and general arts courses. Kids were triaged at a really young age. I was in the academic group. The commercial group put out the school newspaper. So I was ineligible to write for it. As a student I didn’t have one word in the school newspaper.”
4. What waterway feeds into Carnegie Lake?
The Millstone River. The river starts in western Monmouth County then heads west through Mercer County, feeding into Carnegie Lake after it crosses Route 1. It then crosses the D&R Canal, and both waterways follow a parallel course to the Raritan River in Manville.
5. What famous poet has connections to Princeton football?
Edgar Allan Poe. His first cousin twice removed, John Prentiss Poe Jr. (“Johnny”), was a football hero at the university. Poe and all five of his brothers played football for Princeton, but it was Johnny who was the star, starting at halfback as a freshman in 1891 and as quarterback the following year. The popular Poe was elected president of his freshman class, but his star did not extend to the classroom. He was asked to leave during his freshman year, and the entire class accompanied him to the Dinky train. He returned as a sophomore, only to be dismissed again for academic reasons.
After coaching for several seasons, he joined the army, rising to the rank of corporal before the outbreak of the Spanish-American War. He later volunteered for the British army during World War I. He was killed during the Battle of Loos on September 25, 1915. At the university Poe Field — now the endpoint for the annual P-rade during Reunions — and the Poe-Kazmaier Trophy, the highest award given to a football player, are named in his honor.
6. What was the first paved road in Princeton?
Nassau Street. It was paved when it became a state highway just before World War I and is one of the oldest continuously used roads in the United States. Prior to Europeans’ arrival in 1690 it was part of the Lenni Lenape’s Assunpink Trail.
7. How did the Garden Theater get its name?
Its Nassau Street location was originally adjacent to a rose garden. The theater opened in 1920 with a showing of “Civilian Clothes” complete with a live orchestra.
8. What species once believed extinct now flourishes on Broadmead Street?
The Dawn Redwood, or metasequoia. The Dawn Redwood was believed to be extinct until it were rediscovered in China during World War II. The Princeton University horticulturist at the time, James Clark, acquired seedlings when the plant arrived in the U.S. in 1948 and planted them along Broadmead Street and outside Prospect House on the Princeton campus. Another was planted in Marquand Park in 1955. Though these redwoods are much smaller than their Californian cousins, they stand well over 100 feet tall.
9. What song was composed at 160 Mercer Street?
“Old Nassau.” The lyrics to the Princeton University alma mater were written by Harlan Page Peck, Class of 1862, in 1859. But the music was composed by Karl Langlotz, a German instructor, later that year. A plaque outside Langlotz’ house commemorates his work.
10. What is the claim to fame of Joseph McElroy Mann, Princeton Class of 1876?
Mann was the first college baseball pitcher to successfully throw the curveball. He used techniques honed in the hallways of Nassau Hall. The pitch was so effective that it led to the first no-hitter in baseball history, in a game at Yale on May 29, 1875. Mann faced only 28 batters, and two errors were all that separated Mann from a perfect game. Princeton won, 3-0. In other baseball history, a Princetonian was also the first catcher to use a chest protector: William S. Schenck, Class of 1880, stuffed copies of the Princetonian into his shirt.
11. Who played against Princeton in the first intercollegiate football game?
Princeton played Rutgers. They met in New Brunswick on November 6, 1869. The Tigers lost to the Queensmen, 6-4, in what is considered the first modern football game, though the rules used borrowed heavily from English football — or soccer.
12. Princeton has two Alexander Halls. Where are they and for whom are they named?
On the campuses of Princeton University and Princeton Theological Seminary. The one at the university houses Richardson Auditorium. It is named for three generations of Alexanders with connections to the university: Charles B. Alexander, Class of 1870; Henry M. Alexander, Class of 1840; and Dr. Archibald Alexander, founder of Princeton Theological Seminary and the recipient of an honorary doctorate from Princeton in 1810. He is also the namesake of the other Alexander Hall — a dormitory on the seminary campus. The seminary’s Alexander Hall opened in 1817; the university’s in 1894.
13. What do actress Tina Fey, late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, and media mogul Ted Turner have in common?
All were rejected by Princeton University. Fey attended the University of Virginia; Scalia went to Harvard; and Turner studied at Brown.
14. What famous novelist once wrote: “Princeton would suit me as well as Heaven, better in fact, for I shouldn’t care for that society up there”?
Mark Twain. The author shared that sentiment in a letter to Laurence Hutton, a Harper’s editor and later a lecturer in English at Princeton. Twain visited the university in 1901 and gave a lecture in Richardson Auditorium. According to a report in the New York Sun, he advised: “You should economize every sin you commit and get a value out of it. If you commit a sin sit down and think about it. You must end by making up your mind that you will never commit that sin again. You should go to the next sin and use that in the same way. Now, there are only 368 sins that you can commit, so that if you begin to-morrow and commit all of them you will be out in a little over a year.”
15. What was the Princeton police department’s first motorized vehicle?
The police acquired a Harley Davidson motorcycle in 1922. The department hired special motorcycle officers who were trained in driving motorcycles; other officers would take taxis or borrow private vehicles to respond to calls. A “police patrol ambulance” — a two-door Ford sedan — was purchased in late 1923. The department purchased its first radio patrol car in 1936.
16. A careful observer will notice that the columns on the arcade outside of Frist Campus Center are not flat on the top. Why not?
The tops of the columns feature the very tops of the letters in “Frist Campus Center.” In architect Robert Venturi’s initial design, Frist Campus Center would have been clearly spelled out atop the columns. But that lettering was deemed a sign, and by Princeton Borough ordinance a sign could only occupy 16 square feet. The letters would have occupied 234 square feet. The planning board refused to give a variance for the sign. W. Barksdale Maynard explains the rest in his 2012 book “Princeton: America’s Campus.”
“They refused a variance, although Venturi argued the letters did not constitute a ‘sign’ but instead were integral to the architecture. ‘There’s a tradition of classical buildings having words on their facades,’ he explained. The university backed him up: if he ‘wants the design, it should remain part of the plan,’ a spokesperson said. ‘It gives the building a certain identity.’ But the planning board stuck to its ruling: the letters constituted signage and had to be radically shrunk, or eliminated.
‘We were just outraged,’ [Venturi’s wife and fellow architect Denise] Scott Brown remembers of the meddling planning board. ‘It was an untoward invasion of campus, design review gone berserk’ . . .
At Princeton, Venturi circulated a cheeky memo, “Why the Tasteful Frieze on the Front of Frist Campus Center Is Not a Vulgar Sign But a Tasteful Frieze — Designed Also by a Highfalutin’ Architect.’ But he knew he was beaten, and he soon eliminated the letters from his plans — all except a trace, a mere line of bumps across the top of the arcade: just the uppermost few inches of the vanished signage. ‘Its graphic frieze had to be modified to pass a local ordinance that minimized vulgarity,’ he explained. ‘We made the ‘sign’ ambiguous and therefore mannerist!’ ‘Some in town felt that we tricked them,’ Scott Brown says with a smile, ‘but there are ways a powerless person can fight back.’”
17. What were the names of Albert Einstein’s pets?
Einstein had a cat named Tiger, a dog named Chico, and a bird.
18. What was Foundation X?
Foundation X was the Robertson Foundation, which donated $35 million to Princeton University in 1961 to fund the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. The gift was given anonymously, and was reported by the Daily Princetonian to be the largest gift ever to the university and likely the largest gift ever given to an American institution of higher education. The donors were revealed as A&P Supermarket heirs Charles, Class of 1926, and Marie Robertson, in 1972, after Marie’s death. Prior to that the donors’ identity had been the subject of conspiracy theories and speculation. As the New York Times reported when the donors were named, “Before today’s announcement campus radicals often charged that the money to finance the school had come from the Central Intelligence Agency.”
19. Name the Princeton University alumni who have gone on to become president of the United States or governor of New Jersey.
William Paterson, Class of 1763, was governor from 1790 to 1793. He studied law under Richard Stockton and was nominated to the Supreme Court by George Washington in 1793. Thomas Henderson, Class of 1761, took his place as acting governor until June, 1793.
Mahlon Dickerson, Class of 1789, was governor from 1815 to 1817, when he was elected to the U.S. Senate.
Samuel Lewis Southard, Class of 1804, was elected in 1832, but departed the following year to return to the U.S. Senate.
William Pennington, Class of 1813, was governor from 1837 to 1843.
Daniel Haines, Class of 1820, was governor from 1848 to 1851.
Joel Parker, Class of 1839, was governor from 1863 to 1866 and from 1872 to 1875.
Robert Stockton Green, Class of 1850, was governor from 1887 to 1890.
Woodrow Wilson, Class of 1879, was governor of New Jersey from 1911 to 1913, when he became president of the United States. He was president until 1921.
Brendan Byrne, Class of 1949, started college at Seton Hall but then left to serve in the Army during World War II. He used the GI Bill to finish his degree at Princeton. He was governor from 1974 to 1982.
Tom Kean, Class of 1957, was governor from 1982 to 1990.
Bonus: Charles Smith Olden, governor from 1860 to 1863, did not attend Princeton but spent his whole life in the town of Princeton. He is buried at the Stony Brook Meeting House & Cemetery on Quaker Road.
In addition to Woodrow Wilson, James Madison, Class of 1771, was president from 1809 to 1817. John F. Kennedy — a Harvard alumnus — attended Princeton for part of a semester before dropping out for health reasons and ultimately enrolling at Harvard.
20. Name the three places in Princeton to find Tiffany windows.
Princeton United Methodist Church at the corner of Nassau and Vandeventer, and Richardson Auditorium and Jadwin Hall on the university campus.
The window in the church depicts the legend of Saint George and the Dragon, which dates back to the 10th century. The legend holds that a town known as Silene had a lake inhabited by a dragon who was poisoning the countryside. To keep the dragon at bay the villagers fed it sheep, and when they ran out of sheep they fed it children, selected by lottery. As the king’s daughter prepared to be eaten, Saint George happened by and wounded the dragon, then tied the girl’s girdle around its neck. They took it back to the town, where George agreed to kill it if the townspeople converted to Christianity.
The window in the church shows St. George on his horse spearing the dragon. The window was commissioned by the family of William Edward Durrell, an 1889 Princeton alumnus and Methodist church congregant who died tragically just two years after graduating. The back pew of the church’s balcony offers the best view of the window; the church also offers guided tours featuring the window.
The Tiffany in Jadwin Hall — home of the university’s physics department — is a landscape triptych created in 1910 for the home of Elizabeth and Percy Ballantine, Class of 1902. Percy’s son, Norman, Class of 1935, gifted the window to the university in 1967.
The Tiffany in Richardson Auditorium, visible on the south side of the building, features four panels depicting Genius, Study, Knowledge, and Fame. They were designed by J.A. Holzer, the director of Tiffany’s mosaic works. His mosaics based on Homer’s stories fill an interior wall in Richardson.
21. Go on a tour of the Princeton campus today, and the guide will likely tell you that the School of Architecture is, ironically, considered to be the ugliest building on campus. What building held that distinction in the 1920s, before it burned down in 1928?
The John C. Green School of Science. The U-shaped building with a 140-foot clock tower stood at the corner of Nassau and Washington facing Chancellor Green. The building was designed by William Potter, who also designed Alexander Hall, East Pyne, and Chancellor Green. When it was conceived and built in the 1870s its High Victorian Gothic style was quite popular, but tastes changed in the early 20th century. After a fire gutted the building in 1928, the Daily Princetonian reported:
“Princeton’s famed architectural monstrosity, the School of Science, was completely gutted by flames of undetermined origin early this morning, despite the efforts of all available fire-fighting apparatus. At 4:05 there was no further hope of saving any part of the building. The entire structure is a total loss, the damage estimated by University authorities as being in the neighborhood of half a million dollars. With the exception of class room records, and individual research records, nothing of any value was saved…
“Hundreds of University students assembled early to cheer the demise of Princeton’s most famous eyesore. The screaming of sirens, the roaring of motors and the sight of undergraduates with coonskins hastily bundled over pajamas, members of the Faculty feverishly attempting to save what records they could, all joined in making this fire one of the most spectacular in recent years.”
(John C. Green, who donated $100,000 for the building, later had the building across Washington Road named in his honor — Green Hall, used until recently for the Department of Psychology.)
22. Before Princeton Borough and Township residents voted to consolidate the two municipalities in 2012, there had been several failed previous consolidation efforts. How many? When were they?
Three, in 1953, 1979, and 1996. Princeton’s first consolidation effort occurred in 1953. In 1979, they tried again, and the measure failed to pass in the former Borough by just 33 votes. A third effort in 1996 resulted in a larger margin of defeat in the Borough. Chad Goerner, former Princeton Township mayor, published a book on the history and lessons of Princeton’s consolidation efforts in 2017 titled “A Tale of Two Tigers: Princeton’s Historic Consolidation.”
23. What future television star made her stage debut at McCarter Theater with a 1937 production of “Hey Diddle Diddle”?
Lucille Ball. At the time of the January 21, 1937, debut Ball had already established herself on the movie screen. In fact, the night of the McCarter Premiere, a film featuring Ball, “That Girl From Paris,” was opening at the Arcade Theatre — a movie theater at the site of the current Triumph Brewery on Nassau Street. The play was slated to make its way to Broadway but its male lead, Conway Tearle, became gravely ill after the show moved from McCarter to Washington D.C. and the rest of its run was canceled.
24. Where did famed singer Marian Anderson stay when she performed at McCarter Theater?
Anderson stayed with Albert Einstein, who lived at 112 Mercer Street. While McCarter Theater, as a private venue, was able to invite black performers, segregation was alive and well in the town of Princeton, and the Nassau Inn had a strict “whites only” policy. Racism aside, Anderson’s performance was declared “superlative” by a student reviewer writing for the Daily Princetonian.
“Complete artistic mastery of a magnificent voice characterized Marian Anderson’s recital last night in McCarter Theatre. Miss Anderson had the audience at her feet from the first Handel aria to the last negro spiritual. It is hard to discuss such a performance without the excessive use of superlatives. Seldom is a voice like this combined with such a perfect intellectual and emotional understanding of the music.”
That reviewer was one E.T. Cone, Class of 1939. Readers today may better remember him as Edward T. Cone, the noted musician and philanthropist whose name graces the Institute for Advanced Study’s annual concert series, among other musical endeavors. As an undergraduate he was the first to submit a musical composition as his senior thesis and along with Milton Babbitt was the first to receive a graduate degree in music from the university. He later taught at the university and died in 2004 at age 87.
25. What was Nemderoloc?
Nemderoloc was a private social club for African Americans located at 182-184 John Street in the Witherspoon Jackson neighborhood. Now a private residence, it was known in the early 20th century as the Charcoal Inn and owned by Princeton residents William Teague and William Green. The club’s name spells “Colored Men” in reverse.
26. What are the meanings and origins of the names Drumthwacket and Jasna Polana?
Drumthwacket, the official residence of the governor since 1981, means “wooded hill” in Scots-Gaelic. It was built and named in the 1830s by Charles Smith Olden, a wealthy businessman who later became governor. “Drumthwacket” was the name of an estate in Sir Walter Scott’s 1819 novel “A Legend (of the Wars) of Montrose,” and Olden is said to have been inspired after reading it.
Jasna Polana means “bright glade” in Polish. Before becoming a private golf club, it was the estate of J. Seward Johnson Sr. and his third wife, Barbara “Basia” Piesecka Johnson, who was born and raised in Poland.
27. The last private owner of Drumthwacket held more than 2,000 patents at the time of his death and designed the space suits used on multiple Apollo missions. Who was he?
Nathaniel Abram Spanel purchased Drumthwacket in 1941 and used it to house the engineers who worked for his company. Spanel founded the International Latex Corporation in 1932, and his inventions ranged from rafts to carry wounded soldiers to the first bras to use elastic. (International Latex is now better known as Playtex). He sold Drumthwacket to the state in 1966 to be used as the governor’s mansion, but continued to live there: his obituary, published in the New York Times on April 2, 1985, noted that his funeral would be held there on April 13.
28. What Princeton High School alumna won a gold medal at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics?
Lesley Bush. She won a gold medal in platform diving at age 16, despite there being no swimming facilities at Princeton High School. She also competed at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, and her brother, Dave, competed in diving at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. More recently, she was a science teacher in the West Windsor-Plainsboro schools.
29. Who was Princeton’s first European colonist?
Henry Greenland. In 1683 he established a tavern — known as a “house of accommodation” — at the present 1082 Princeton-Kingston Road, which became known as the Kings Highway and served as New Jersey’s main road for more than 100 years. The Gulick House, which stands there now, includes parts of the original tavern. (The name “Princeton,” however, didn’t come into use until 1724.)
30. What was the claim to fame of Princeton resident Svetlana Alliluyeva?
She was the daughter of Josef Stalin. She sought political asylum in the U.S. in 1967 and ended up in Princeton, the home of American diplomat George Kennan, who had helped her defect. She died in Wisconsin in 2011 at the age of 85.
31. True or False: Two past Princeton residents have played Superman.
True: Christopher Reeve and Dean Cain. Reeve moved to Princeton with his mother and brother in 1956 and attended Princeton Day School. Reeve rose to stardom in the 1977 film “Superman” and played the title role in three sequels, the last of which was released in 1987. Reeve was paralyzed from the neck down after a horseback riding accident in 1995 and died in 2004 after an adverse reaction to a medication.
Dean Cain, a 1988 alumnus of Princeton University, starred as superman in the television series “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” from 1993 to 1997. While at Princeton Cain played football and dated fellow actress Brooke Shields, Class of 1987. Unlike Cain, who turned to acting after a brief stint with the Buffalo Bills of the NFL, Shields was already famous by the time she arrived on campus, having starred in “Pretty Baby” and “The Blue Lagoon” as a teenager.
32. What family’s graves were found during the construction of Holder Hall on the university campus near the corner of Nassau Street and University Place?
The FitzRandolph family. When the College of New Jersey moved from Elizabeth to Princeton, Nathaniel FitzRandolph was personally responsible for raising the funds needed. He ultimately raised 500 pounds from Princeton residents and donated 20 pounds of his own money as well as 4.5 acres of land, including the area where Nassau Hall now stands. When he died in 1780 he was buried in the family burial ground at the current site of Holder Hall. During that building’s construction in the early 20th century 32 family graves were discovered and university president Woodrow Wilson ordered them re-interred under the building’s eastern arch, where the memorial can be found today. The main gate to the university, separating the green in front of Nassau Hall from Nassau Street, is known as FitzRandolph Gate and was built in 1905.
33. What Princetonian philanthropist and music lover provided key funding for the plaintiffs in the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court case?
William Scheide. The 1936 Princeton University alumnus, who inherited a fortune from oil, was a supporter of civil rights causes for most of his life. His contributions to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund — and the relationship he formed with the group’s general counsel, future Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall — helped secure the landmark ruling that led to the desegregation of the nation’s public schools.
34. What adventure movie hero and his girlfriend were based in Princeton?
Indiana Jones (and Nancy Stratemeyer). In “The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles” Jones is born in Princeton in 1899 while his father was teaching at the university. Jones attends high school in Princeton with his sweetheart, Nancy, whose name comes from the real-life author Edward Stratemeyer and his most famous character, the detective Nancy Drew. In later incarnations, Indiana is a professor at Princeton.
35. Where in Princeton can you find this inscription?
Here memory lingers to recall the guiding mind,
Whose daring plan outflanked the foe and turned dismay to hope,
When Washington, with swift resolve, marched through the night,
To fight at dawn and venture all in one victorious battle for our freedom.
That is the inscription on the rear face of the Princeton Battle Monument outside of the former Borough Hall (now, appropriately, Monument Hall). It was written by Andrew Fleming West, a long-time Latin professor at Princeton who became the first dean of the graduate college. The monument was dedicated in 1922, with President Warren G. Harding in attendance.
36. Which of these politicians is not buried in Princeton Cemetery?
A. Grover Cleveland
B. John Witherspoon
C. Woodrow Wilson
D. Aaron Burr
C — Woodrow Wilson. The past president of Princeton University and the United States, was buried at Washington National Cathedral upon his death in 1924.
Grover Cleveland, who was president of the U.S. from 1884 to 1888 and again from 1892 to 1896, visited Princeton to a give a speech at the university’s sesquicentennial in 1896 and liked it so much that he moved here at the conclusion of his presidency. He lived at a mansion on Hodge Road known as Westland, named in honor of graduate school dean Andrew Fleming West. He died in 1908.
John Witherspoon, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and a member of the Continental Congress for eight years, also served as the president of the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University). He lived at the estate on Cherry Hill Road known as Tusculum and died there in 1794.
Aaron Burr, best known for killing Alexander Hamilton in duel, was raised in Princeton, where his father was president of the university. The young Burr graduated from the college at the age of 16. He served in the senate for six years and became vice president when he lost the 1800 presidential election to Thomas Jefferson (at the time, the runner-up automatically became vice president). He died in 1836 and was buried alongside his parents and his grandfather, the theologian Jonathan Edwards, also a past president of Princeton.
37. What connection does James Joyce’s “Ulysses” have to Princeton?
Sylvia Beach, the founder of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore in Paris who worked to get “Ulysses” published after it was rejected as obscene in the U.K. and in the U.S., lived in Princeton as a young adult. She moved to Princeton as a teenager in 1905 and lived on Library Place while her father led the First Presbyterian Church on Nassau Street. Despite spending most of her life in Paris, Beach was buried in Princeton Cemetery, her ashes flown from Paris to Princeton after she died of a heart attack in 1962.
38. Where is the only Einstein museum in North America?
In the back of Landau, the woolens store at 102 Nassau Street. A temporary exhibit was displayed in conjunction with the filming of the romantic comedy “IQ,” starring Walter Mathau as Einstein, in 1994, but was dismantled after a few months. But people who had connections to Einstein wanted a place to share their memorabilia, and other people wanted to see it, so a 10’ x 12’ corner of the store was converted to a permanent exhibit. At the time of the mini-museum’s creation, there was not even so much as a statue of Einstein in town because officials believed the physicist, who died in 1955, would not have wanted it. But since 2005 a 2.5 foot bronze bust of Einstein has stood outside of Monument Hall, standing on a pedestal with an inscription including this quotation from Einstein himself, from a letter he wrote in 1936 to Elisabeth of Bavaria, Queen of Belgium: “I am privileged by fate to live here in Princeton … I feel doubly thankful that there has fallen on my lot a place for work and a scientific atmosphere which could not be better or more harmonious.”
39. Why did the house at 35 Boudinot Street have a shark painted on the bottom of its swimming pool?
It was the home of Peter Benchley. The author of the bestselling novel “Jaws” moved to Princeton from Pennington after selling movie rights to “Jaws.” Benchley died in 2006, and the house was sold for $2.5 million in 2012.
40. What is the claim to fame of Kopps Cycle Shop?
The store at 38 Spring Street is the oldest bike shop in the U.S. and the second oldest in the world. It was founded by E.C. Kopp in 1891 and was originally located on Nassau Street.
* About the Wicked Witch: Margaret Hamilton, the actress who played the infamous “Wizard of Oz” villain, lived part of her adult life in Princeton.